Defying Gravity

Friday, August 18, 2006

HD Radio is Growing on Me

The growing popularity of satellite radio has sparked worry in the minds of radio mega giant Clear Channel Communication. As a result, the company invented "HD radio" Until recently, I didn’t have any inclination to switch or even try out this new form of radio but I came across the HD radio website within the last two weeks and I am so excited I did. From this one page site, you can stream a number of HD radio stations from across the country. I do still enjoy listening to a radio station's live broadcast online but when I’m tired of the constant commercials, HD radio offers up a great alternative.

With HD, the sound is great and there are no commercials but the best part about this innovative listening experience is the broad playlists these stations are incorporating to attract new audiences. There are tons of undiscovered artists out there and Clear Channel is helping them gain attention by putting them on these unconventional stations. I am always tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over again so these "alternative" stations are very refreshing.

Apparently, if you have an HD radio receiver you can access these stations from the car or home too and the sound quality is far suppierior to the standard AM and FM stations. Traditional radio has been homogenized to the point that every DJ and song sound the same, event when you jump from city to city. It is no wonder that satellite radio is succeeding.

I am proud of Clear Channel for doing something that is innovative and in the best interest of the listening audience. I am not quite to the point of buying the HD radio receiver but the online streams are making my workday that much more pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home