Defying Gravity

Monday, December 18, 2006

Metro: Wake up and Get Creative for the Love of God

I am more than outraged at Metro's plan to raise fares to alleviate the financially strapped transit company. It would be one thing if the quality of the experience was satisfactory. I am the type who will pay more for quality but Metro has no business raising fairs to provide a service that is less than par.

I'm not going to focus on all of Metro's shortcomings but I will suggest that Metro and its Board of Directors get a little creative and not pass the burden to its dedicated riders who, don't forget, are its constituents.
  1. I think it's high time for the subway to allow food, drink and news vendors to set up shop at its stations. Charge them a fee or tax them to have access to thirsty and hungry commuters and tourists. I know, there goes our clean trains but desperate times calls for, well, you know.
  2. Eliminate more of the seats on the trains. Eliminating the seats means more people can fit. I've been on one of the newer models where they've done this exact thing but more seats need to go.
  3. Charge more for the permit spots at the remote parking lots. I read that metro wants to add more permit spots but I would suggest raising the rate from $45 a month to $75 for the spots. I park in Vienna everyday and there are always dozens of those permit spots open. Adding more at the same price certainly won't encourage more people to buy the permits.
These are just a few suggestions but when there is a budget crisis, it behooves the board to get creative and not disenfranchise its customers. The last thing we need is more cars on the road but if it becomes more expensive for me to drive to work than ride metro, so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home