Defying Gravity

Monday, December 04, 2006

Obama Caught in Culture Clash

On Saturday I happened to catch ABC's World News podcast from Friday afternoon and one of the segments in particular caught my eye. They did a story about Barack Obama and how he's been speaking to churches and meeting with Christian leaders about compassion and helping the poor and impoverished. Doesn't sound bad does it?

What struck me was that a specific Christian right group - the name escapes me - was critical of Obama for steering Christians away from the more important issues of morality such as same sex marriage and abortion. This group basically said that Christians must keep these as their top priority issues and keep a blind eye on compassion and the poor.

I was flabbergasted. I don't understand why certain members of the extreme right continue to promote issues that are politically divisive and tear our country apart.

Here is your chance, Christians of all parties and races, to join with a leader of our country who wants to put the divisive issues aside and confront the important problems of our world. Compassion has been lacking in this country and abroad and poverty can and should be eliminated.

I just can't comprehend how people who say they're Christians can criticize someone else for actually reaching out to thy neighbor and calling people to help the poor and those in need.

I apologize for not linking to the story. I found it on the ABC news premium video page listed as the same title as this post but of course you've gotta pay to play.

The bottom line is I applaud Barack Obama's effort to court Christians and I think he will do extremely well as our next President. As a compassionate Christian, I am ready to begin the journey with him to unite this country and leave the environment of partisan politics behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home